Scotland’s oldest senior football club was formed in Glasgow’s South Side on July 9, 1867. A pioneering club with a strictly amateur playing code Queens Park FC is based at Hampden Park in Glasgow.
With 150 years of history, the club has played a huge role in the development of football and helped to establish the passing possession play and the association rules that govern the modern game. The club motto “Ludere Causa Ludendi” says it all – to play for the sake of playing.
Scotland’s first ever international football game on November 30, 1872 (the worlds first ever official international match) was organised and played by Queen’s Park who invited the English FA to send a team.
Not only in international football were Queens Park forerunners. The club looked to other competitions and other nations to spread the game of football. Exhibition games took place in Ireland and they were invited to take part in the first ever English F.A Cup in 1872. The club then finished runners-up in the famous English FA Cup trophy on two occasions – in 1884 when the amateurs scored a total of 32 goals with only one conceded, to reach the final. The final itself saw Queen’s Park battle it out against Blackburn Rovers at Kensington Oval only to lose 1-2.
The following year 1885, Queen’s Park found themselves in the F.A. Cup final once more. Blackburn Rovers were the opponents winning 2-0.
As noted, home for Queens Park is Hampden Park in Glasgow. The club was one of the first teams in Europe to have a purpose-built stadium for supporters that was way ahead of the time in terms of entry and viewing. The current Hampden Park is though in fact the third home of the club since the original Hampden ground was replaced by a new second Hampden in 1884 – but that soon become home for Third Lanark and was renamed, Cathkin Park.
By 1900 plans were put in place for a new stadium in Mount Florida. The intention was to build a brand new stadium that would offer comfortable playing surroundings in a pleasant environment. This became the present day Hampden Park officially opened on October 31, 1903. Hampden since then has transformed into an all-seated UEFA arena that has played host to the European Cup Final, Champions league final, ECWC final and the UEFA Cup final. In 2020 Hampden will be a venue for UEFA Euro 2020.
Queen’s Park still owns Hampden but the stadium is managed by an external private company from whom the Scottish FA loan the stadium. QPFC club offices sit just outside Hampden at the lesser Hampden ground. However, Queen’s Park plays home games at the national stadium each Saturday but these days in front of 500 people.
The Lesser Hampden development now has an artificial surface, social premises, office administration facilities which allow teams to train and giving a better platform to develop links with schools’ football.
The club has distinctive black and white hooped shirts; a traditional kit that still exists to this day but the 2017 season sees the club were a commemorative navy blue kit.
The position of Queens Park had diminished somewhat over the 150 years but the rich history of the club remains intact and is celebrated in this 2017 – the 150th year. Thanks in part to its amateur club status but also thanks to the growth and dominance of Celtic and Rangers, Queens Park are a Scottish lower league side which reached its peak in the 1880’s.
The Spiders have a loyal band of fans who watch on fortnightly but the club is unlikely ever again to reach the heights that the other more popular Glasgow sides have attained since the turn of the century.