Officially known as part of the the Principada de Asturias (Asturian Principality) the city of Gijon forms part of the modern day Spanish Principality of Asturias in Northern Spain.

Most of the Asturias is situated in a mountainous setting with vast greenery and lush vegetation making it part of Green Spain. The area is known as Green Spain because it has a wet and temperate oceanic climate with lush pastures and forests similar to that of Ireland or the west coast of France.

In the second half of the 1st century AD it was the Romans who moved to these northern areas of Spain in the area now known as Cerro de Santa Catalina. The objective of the Romans was to control an area which they believed was rich in gold deposits.

The Romans surrounded the city with a wall from which some remains still exist baptizing the areas with the name of Gigia Civitatis from where the name of Gijon originates.

With the fall of the Roman Empire and the Reconquest (Reconquista) of Spain the Kingdom of Asturias was founded in 718 by the Visogothic nobleman Pelagius.

However, due to different wars throughout the centuries this caused the city of Gijon to become completely uninhabited in the 4th, 14th and 15th centuries until the beginning of the 16th century. In was during the latter that the first port was built from which the important developments of the city of Gijon began.

On the shores of the Cantabrian Sea, Gijón offers an attractive combination of maritime tradition, monumental heritage and modern urban planning right on the seashore.

The club was established in 1905 with the name ‘Sporting Gijones’ with the first game of the club being dated 18th August 1907 against Sporting Ovetense.

The title Real Sporting Club Gijonés came about in 1912 when King Alfonso XIII accepted Royal patronage of the club for the Spanish Crown. He introduced the term ‘Real’ (Spanish for Royal) to its name meaning the club became Real Sporting Clube Gijones.

It was not until 2 April 1916, that a new name change took place and the club adopted the denomination, Real Sporting de Gijón.

After the era of General Franco (where Sporting were refused the right to use the word ‘Sporting’ in the club title) the club entered into a golden era of European participation and domestic success.

Players like Quini and Antonio Maceda came to the fore making the 1978-79 season the best year in the history of the club. Copa Del Rey finals were reached in the early eighties (1981 and 1982) but both were lost to Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Nonetheless, these landmarks showed evidence of a club that had left its mark on the face of the Spanish game.

Real Sporting de Gijón have worn red and white striped jerseys since their inception, being the first Spanish team to wear red and white even before Atletico and Athletic Bilbao. The distinctive club badge of a triangle with ref and white vertical stripes with an ‘S’ (for Sporting) and ‘G’ (for Gijon) intertwined.

Full nameReal Sporting de Gijón
Nickname(s)Rojiblancos (Red-and-Whites)
Founded1 July 1905
GroundEl Molinón-Enrique Castro “Quini”
Capacity30,000